HMS Andromeda

Moderators: Pugwash, MarineNationale

HMS Andromeda

Postby PaulH on Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:29 pm

Following on from the story of HMS Caroline coming to Portsmouth to form a part of the museum it appears HMS Andromeda (now Krishma) has only just been decommissioned (end of May 12) and some are looking to see if that can be brought back home. Why the interest in her? She was the last RN warship to be built in Portsmouth.
PaulH

Re: HMS Andromeda

Postby Pugwash on Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:13 am

I didn't realise there were any Leanders left in the world - a great class of warship.

Geoff
Pugwash

Postby 1958nige on Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:02 am

Fantastic

Seems a shame we could not save HMS Plymouth as well
regards

Nige

Remember this is just a hobby !!!
1958nige

Postby brianc on Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:50 am

Plymouth would have been worthy of saving as she played a significant part in our modern naval history, Andromeda on the other hand, has no real claim to fame.
Looking back at previous failed attempts to save some of our historic ships, I would think this one will be a dismal failure too, just my humble opinion.
Last edited by brianc on Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
A little forward planning, saves a red face later!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brian.
Scottish Model Warship Association.
brianc

Postby Rob on Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:23 pm

brianc wrote:Plymouth would have been worthy of saving as she played a significant part in our modern naval history, Andromeda on the other hand, has no real claim to fame.
Looking back at previous failed attempts to save some of our historic ships, I would think this one will be a dismal failure too, just my humble opinion.

I am sorry to say i agree :cry:
Rob
The Model Warship forum
Rob

Postby minerva on Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:02 am

I cannot see this coming off at all. I am involved in warship preservation and considering that Belfast, our flag ship of 20th century warship preservation. Lacks the money even to paint the side that isn't facing the public shore. Cavalier is rusting away(water is ingressing into the wardroom when it rains) due to lack of funds. We could not even save Whimbrell which was of historic value. It is pie in the sky I'm afraid. Warships require an immense amount of upkeep. The money and the people to do it are just not available. It is sad and something we will regret in the future.
minerva

Return to Warships Today