D87 HMS Newcastle formerly Glasgow

Moderators: Pugwash, MarineNationale

Re: D87 HMS Newcastle formerly Glasgow

Postby D92_Liverpool on Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:29 pm

Well hello. It is serious times we are now living in. I hope everyone is staying safe and well.

It has been longer than I intended before picking up the build thread and in truth, given events Ive not been in the mood to really get stuck in. But, there's only so long you can put things on hold so time for some updates. I intend to try and do a little each week but like everyone else, Ive got other things to occupy myself with.

I dont think I had chance to post a pic before but here is the port side GAMBO fitted in it's rightful place for the Newcastle circa 2000 layout. Also constructed is the deck guard rail and netting. Starboard side is similarly fitted.

The bulwark behind the first section of the guard also had to be repositioned to its current site. The GAMBO is movable and can be swung out over the guard netting. On the actual ships, I believe these guards dropped down to give full range of movement but do not on the model.

Next picture shows the now fitted rails, deck crane and Pacific. The deck crane base can swivel so it can be repositioned to suit. The Pacific is not yet glued into position due to further rail and stanchions to be fitted.

As these rails and stanchions were removable to allow the deck crane movement and Pacific to be launched, these were of the flexi wire type and not the usual welded grey ones.

This picture shows the main superstructure from the rear and in particular access ladders from deck level to the upper deck. On some ships, these access ladders were much closer to the main radar tower. On this build, the positioning of the watertight doors prevent this so Ive had to position them where they are. By a good stroke of fortune, a picture I have of Newcastle actually shows the port access ladder in virtually the same place I have it! Im presuming starboard side was the same and just goes to show the different fit between ships. Also in this picture, you can see the scratch built torpedo hoist and deryck.

This picture should give a better view of the redundant torpedo hoist and deryck.

By this time (circa 2002), torpedos had been taken off Newcastle and probably all the B1 & 2 ships but for some reason, the hoist and deryck remained. The tubular hoist has been glued in place but it is important to know it isnt glued to the main tower else that wouldnt be able to be removed. The 'curved' deryck is not yet glued in position and final placement is to be worked out. It isnt a million miles out of place but will not stand alone due to the curvature pulling it over. So for now, it's temporarily balanced on the hoist. when finally positioned and glued down, it will not be resting on the horizontal beam.

The rail and stanchion here were also removable to help with loading and swinging out the torpedo launchers so have similarly been modelled with flexi wire.

Again, it's interesting to know different ships show different methods of attaching the long hoist beam to the superstructure. Some, like Newcastle, look like they had the beam welded to or, built into, the side of the superstructure. Some, had a vertical or horizontal plate on the end of the superstructure and the beam fixed to that!

Final picture is of the fitting and glued port side midships life raft racks. Starboard has also been fitted.

In the coming week, I hope to work on the railings either side of the CIWS. Fortunately these are only small sections as rail and stanchions arent my favourite task!

Stay safe.
Last edited by D92_Liverpool on Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D92_Liverpool

Postby D92_Liverpool on Thu May 14, 2020 1:22 pm

Hello again, hope everyone is staying safe.

I hate doing stanchion and railings! They are so fiddly. Ive been working to fill in the gaps in the rails that had been fitted to the main superstructure. The area just in from of the CIWS being particularly difficult due to the small area to work in and the curvature required. Id wanted to do this using 'normal' wire but after a few attempts gave up and realised Id have to use the bendy black wire that has been used elsewhere. The pictures I have of Newcastle show this area was, at different times either a mix of the solid and flexible rail or all flexible or solid so, Im happy with what I eventually went with! It also matches the flexible rail used behind and in front of the life raft racks.

Solid rail and stanchion have been used aft the CIWS to the Pacific RIB.

In this picture, you can also see the mast support 'fin' which has been glued in place. This fin is only glued to the deck to allow for the upper superstructure and mast to be separated from each other and the rest of the superstructure.

The next pic is virtually the same but shows a more elevated view looking down on the superstructure. As mentioned previously, the deck crane can swivel, the Pacific isnt yet glued in place and bothe CIWS can swivel.

Similar work has been done the port side with the exception of the solid rail going aft from the portside CIWS. This picture shows the railing to be painted then fitted in position.

I keep think I dont have much more to do on this section and at last, Im beginning to think that really is the case. The ship's badge still needs to be painted up. A castle has been traced onto paper and this needs transferring to the red background disc. A couple of aerial attachments need to be added to the large rear tower, one RAS winch to be fitted but the worst bit will be fitting the bridge wings nav lights. No provision for wiring up working nav lights was made in the original build. It's too late to add a false floor to the bridge wings so the best, worst option is to run the wires in a small conduit underneath the wings. Hmmm, I can see problems here!

Until next time!
D92_Liverpool

Postby D92_Liverpool on Sun May 24, 2020 4:11 pm

Hello all. I hope everyone is staying safe.

In the last post, I mentioned how much is left to do on the main superstructure. But, I forgot some things like deck furniture and aerials! So, as well as adding the small sections of rail and stanchion aft of the CIWS, Ive been concentrating on the furniture and adding aerials.This first picture, you can see the added rails from the CIWS to the Pacific in place plus some lockers. Im not sure what the large box structure behind the CIWS is, a control or ammo box perhaps? Anyway, it's huge and would stop the CIWS moving without some fettling. The range of movement is restricted but unless I was doing major surgery, wouldnt be the same as if the 'box' wasnt there.

Im not sure if this is a Fleetscale moulding. I know the actual CIWS is scratch built but again,unless I was doing major surgery on this box structure, reducing the size would be difficult and lose some moulded detail on each end.

Next pic is port side looking forward. All rail and stanchion is now in place including lockers and winches. Also in pic is the torpedo derrick and support beams glued in situ.

Next pic shows most of the aerial fitments on the main mast. The mast arms had already been painted and I really would have preferred to solder the fitments in place. But, these are white metal and Ive a 60 watt iron so not sure how successful soldering would have been. Plus, Id have had to remove the mast again and scrape off some of the paint to solder properly. Therefore I had to resort to super glue. Not perfect and the parts will stay in place if they arent knocked. I also scratch made an aerial dish for the lower starboard arm of the mast and painted the bottom of the Abbey Hill.

The second from bottom arms on the mast create a bit of a problem as these look to have been placed too close to the arms above. There's supposed to be another dish aerial on the starboard side and a short straight aerial on the port. But unless the port aerial is very short and unscale like, it's going to look odd. I'll have to think about this!

Astute viewers may also notice there's no auxillary room exhaust cover on the rear of the main mast. This has been made and is just waiting for paint.

The next pic is a switch to the upper midship's superstructure. The additional pipework has been added to and around the Scott Domes cabin. This hasnt been fixed in position yet. Im hoping to screw this into place with a couple of very small self tappers but tilting the whole superstructure on it's side to do this get's more fraught as Im adding stuff. Obviously done this the wrong way around!

You can also see one of the Fleetscale RAS winches. I know these are big winches but everytime I look at them, they just look a bit oversized to me. Also, I scratch made a couple of ship's horns to add to the main radar tower.

Finally, port and starboard searchlight \ communication lights added forward of the GAMBOs. I need to build two small lockers for positioning just behind the back of the bridge. You can also see where I need to make two boxes for the bridge wing navigation lights.

One of the last jobs is the fitting of Newcastle's funnel badges. These discs have been prepared and sprayed red. Ive roped the missus in to trace the castle on them then I'll use a grey paint pen to hopefully fill this in!

Until later.
Last edited by D92_Liverpool on Sun May 24, 2020 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D92_Liverpool

Previous

Return to Destroyers & Corvettes