D87 HMS Newcastle formerly Glasgow

Moderators: Pugwash, MarineNationale

Re: D87 HMS Newcastle formerly Glasgow

Postby D92_Liverpool on Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:19 am

Well here we are again! Sorry for the lack of recent updates but Im cracking on with non boat projects!

I mentioned previously I was having trouble with the life raft racks midships on Newcastle. There's very little space to position them as they were on the ship circa 2002 mainly because Mr Goody wasnt making provision for them. And why should he, they weren't fitted to Glasgow for the era he was representing.

Anyway, Id had a couple of goes and they were either too big for the available space or just didnt look right. But this time, I think Ive nailed it. These fit the available space and look canted over at roughly the right angle. There's one each for port and starboard sides and each rack will hold 4 cannisters.

I also fitted the funnel wing platform on each side. Sorry the white balance is a bit off in these next pictures so you cannot see much detail on the unpainted white parts. If you're wondering what the squarish box is on the wing platform, this is an aerial box. Strangely, most 42s had a simple squarish box with a whip aerial on top. For some reason, Newcastle's has like an upright arm with the aerial fix on top of this. The box isnt glued in place yet as it needs to be painted first.

Ive also started fitting railings to the funnel deck walkway. I asked for advice on another forum what was the best way to do these ie build and paint carefully on the model or off the model? I got a number of suggestions so thought Id try the two best. These were build on and off the model. Have to say, I found building off the model too difficult so plumbed for building on the model. Once Id glued the stanchions in place, threading the wire through was relatively easy. There's some trimming to do and the funnel will be taken off to do this.

I also made preparation to carefully screw the funnel aft cabin in place as per most of the rest of the build. Should any future owner of Newcastle wish to return her to a previous fit or indeed, another T42, this should mean they arent faced with too hard a task. This allowed me to position a couple more stanchions in position, railings not yet added. The cabin will be unscrewed and removed for painting.

Final picture today is the manual 4.5" gun control (or so I was told that's what it is!). This is scratch built and sits atop the air intakes. Again, it is not fitted permanently at this point and is another item for paint.

That's it for now, I'll post further updates asap. I really need to make a start painting some of these parts.
D92_Liverpool

Postby D92_Liverpool on Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:02 pm

I decided Im at the stage where I needed to make a start on painting the new items Ive built for Newcastle using my 'new' airbrush. I say 'new' because Ive had it a few years and never used it!

This airbrushing malarky isnt that easy despite all the You Tube vids Ive watched. Much of the advice on pressure and paint thinning seems contradictory with some saying set the pressure to between 23 and 25 psi and others saying as low as 12 or as high as 40! Paint thinning is similarly as bad, some saying 1 to 1 to 2 to 1 as much as 5 to 1!

Im using Tamiya paint as this is what was used originally to paint the model. The smaller items have come out ok but I have to admit, it took several coats. Clearly, applying thin coats is always the way to go but I was getting uneven coverage and finishes no matter what I tried. Im coming to the conclusion the airbrush needle is too fine (0.25mm?). OK, it's a cheapo airbrush but I wasnt going to shell out for an Iawata given I didnt know a thing about airbrushing nor how frequently I was going to use one. But, Id discussed my needs with the shop and they said this one would 'be fine.' Well it is but it paints fine detail not the items the size I want.

Pictured below are the smaller items I painted. So, that's the Pacific boat crane, Scott Domes cabin which needs a black adding to the roof and top edges of the walls, forward RAS mount, manual 4.5" gun control, midship life cannister racks, hangar life rack 'boxes' and the two hangar wall satellite poles(?).

Im not happy with the way the funnel has come out so have given this a very light rub down with fine wet & dry before I have another go at spraying. If I cannot get the paint to look even, I'll have to buy another airbrush with a 0.5mm needle. The AB I have is unbranded so even if I bought a new nozzle and needle, Im not sure they'd fit.

Ive decided I also need to give the superstructure decks a fine paint wash. The main deck seems ok but the others, such as the Funnel deck have a dirty appearance as can be seen in this next picture below. Ive tried washing the decks with a small car detailling brush and plain water but that hasnt improved the appearance. There are also some splashes and spots here and there that look a little unsightly. As Im not keen on separating the main superstructure due to the rats nest of led wiring inside and tackle this with an airbrush, Im just going to leave the superstructure intact and carefully use the good old paint brush method to paint these.

The deck on top of the air intakes originally looked as bad as the actual funnel deck. As can be seen, it is noticable where the funnel sits and the colour of the deck around this has a huge variation in appearance. I dont think it is overspray or caused by sunlight. Maybe the paint has just degraded over time? The air intakes deck has been given a light wash with paint and looks a lot better for it. Im hopefully going to tackle the funnel deck this evening.

That's all for now.
Last edited by D92_Liverpool on Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D92_Liverpool

Postby D92_Liverpool on Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:39 am

Once again, apologies for the quality of the pictures.

Ive been concentrating on and around the funnel superstructure. This is almost complete as can be seen in this picture.

First the front section, the air intakes deck has been re washed with paint, rail and stanchions added and painted, manual 4.5" gun control fixed to the deck, funnel repainted and attached, wing platforms fitted, aerial boxes made and aerials attached. As can be seen, the aerial is awaiting paint and to make this easier, I havent glued the aerial boxes in position yet. The ship's badge discs have been cut using a 5p piece as a template. This is just about the right size although Newcastle seems to have carried a slightly smaller badge than the other T42s.

Each disc has a small channel section on the back at the height of the middle railing. This will hopefully give it a better chance of sticking to the rail and makes the disc sit at about the correct height. Obviously, this needs painting before the discs and aerial boxes are finally glued in place.

The funnel deck has also been re washed with paint althought most of it is now covered! However, going back to previous posts the decks looked really washed out but now I think they look tons better. The cabin aft the funnel is now screwed into position and all railings fitted and painted. Ive seen a couple of T42 builds where the funnel cabin has been built with the roof wings at the front of the cabin and not at the rear. All the T42 pictures I have show the cabin in this orientation so Im happy with the build and position of mine!

The funnel exhausts need to be painted and again, Im waiting on some being delivered. Unfortunately I dont have any pictures looking down onto Newcastle's funnel circa 2002 which Im representing so dont know whether just the exhaust rims are black or the whole top level is black. Painting of the funnels changed quite a bit during the T42s service. Sometimes they had just the top and chamfered side of the funel black, sometimes two black sections with a thin grey band between and sometimes no black, just all grey.

I think I'll go with just the funnel exhaust rims being black for this build.

I also need to take a look at the wiring for the built in lights. The red wire is very short so will need to lengthen both this and the black. Hopefully this should only be a minor task!

Once this complete section is refitted to the main superstructure, I have to make a couple more small parts. One is a tubular stanchion that comes out port side from the rear mast, does a 90 degree turn then fixes near the end of the funnel deck. There's also a small jib or derrick. I gather these were used to hoist torpedoes up onto the deck when these were a fit on the ships.

Until next time!
Last edited by D92_Liverpool on Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
D92_Liverpool

Postby D92_Liverpool on Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:21 pm

Apologies for the lack of posts, what with the good weather, a short holiday and getting the now fuselaged heli airbourne have occupied my time.

A few pictures but not a lot of progress really. While searching through the parts bin I inherited, I found this, a Pacific RIB (on the right) which I believe is the more accurate and correct fit for the T42's than the one on the left.

Alongside it, is another RIB which was going to be fitted and I was in the middle of prepping. The Pacific looks better so this will be the one fitted beneath the deck crane which can be seen in the picture below. Some T42s appear to have carried 2 large Pacific RIBs but Im not sure if I have any pictures of Newcastle doing so.

The funnel section including air intakes has now been refitted to the main superstructure.

The funnel section is held in place by a couple of large screws so can be removed in the future. The screws are a bit agricultural but they do the job! I took the opportunity to also lengthen the led lights supply wires and check they worked. They do but I dont have a picture of them. Im not sure if the original idea was to run the leds off a 12v supply but a 9v would work just as well and in fact, that's what I tested them with.

The funnel aft cabin is also held in place by two smaller screws while the 4.5" gun manual control is just glued to the deck. The mast fairing is currently just positioned and not glued. As the mast is fixed to the superstructure it sits on, it probably makes sense to glue the fairing to this rather than the top of the air intakes. It cannot be glued to both as this would prevent the sections being separated. The deck crane and RIB are also just positioned in their likely places.

You'll also notice the red disc ship's badge on the funnel platform. This is a work in progress and neither port or starboard sides are fixed as yet. The red looks brighter than it is. Trying to find a suitable red was not easy and in the end, I plummed for Valleho red. Next task is to draw something that looks like a castle tower on both discs. I bought one of those grey paint pens with a fine nib as I couldnt envisage using a brush. Not sure if I'll do that or attempt to get SWMBO to have a go since she is better at drawing things than I am! Hopefully, the castle will also lessen the impact of the red used for the background.

Once these are done, I can then glue both aerial boxes and ship's badges in position.

Next picture is another one of the main superstructure.

With the exception of the Scott Domes and platforms, just about everything on the top deck is only positioned and not fixed. I want to screw the SD cabin in place when Ive finished painting it rather than glue it but, there's a rat's nest of wiring in that section. Also, it is difficult to position the superstructure on its side to get a good look underneath and see what's what and where without damaging the rail and stanchions on the former torpedo platforms(?) or some other part of the superstructure. Neither was it easy to see where the relevant screws are etc.

Im going to give this more thought because Im not sure how it was intended to fix the radar tower in place. There's a large hole in the middle of the footprint for the motor wires and a couple of smaller ones for 'pegs' on the underside of the tower, presumably to position it on the deck. The tower has no base so there's no way it can be screwed to the deck. Again, further investigation is required.

The RAS winch and Sat Nav on pole will just be glued in place. The 909 forward radar looks intended to be screwed in place as there are a couple of screw holes in the deck and base of the dome but again, Im not too sure about access.

Ive also scratch built the small radar on top of the bridge which again, is present on Newcastle circa 2002. Sorry, Im not clear what this radar number is! Maybe someone knows?

Looking at future tasks, I need to build the rail and stanchions from the Scott domes forward to just in front of the Sat Nav on the pole. At bridge deck level, Newcastle circa had the GAMBO 20mm gun re positioned from near the hangar to a more forward position. This means the little square section roughly in line with the ladders and RAS winch needs to be position further forward so it is roughly in line with the rear most part of the 909 radar dome above.

Wiring for the bridge wing navigation lights are going to need a little thought as no provision seems to have been made. When I come to this, the wiring is going to have to be underneath the bridge wings to hide it but any trunking will look unscale like.

Final picture is the main superstructure looking towards the stern.

Until next time.
Last edited by D92_Liverpool on Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D92_Liverpool

Postby D92_Liverpool on Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:53 pm

Short update due to the weather and getting some flying time in with the heli!

Couldnt find anything in the parts bin resembling the ship's horns so had to resort to scratch build. At the far right in the picture below, I found a scrap piece of plastic that was a little like a dumbell. Cut this in half then fashioned some small plasticard tube by opened up one end. They might look like small cannons but give a passing resemblance of ship's horns I think. These will be positioned on the stubby radar tower just above the walk way.

Also below, Ive been making some rail and stanchion which will go from the Scott Domes to the Sat Nav on pole. A small break is provided for lower deck ladders to reach the upper deck. The template shows the size of the straight rail. The section that goes to the Sat Nav on a pole was made straight but will be 'bent' as per the template. The separate parts will need a little tidying up, then painted before being glued in their respective positions.

D92_Liverpool

Postby D92_Liverpool on Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:06 pm

Another quick update seeing as the weather is keeping me from flying the heli!

Today Ive been fixing parts to the top deck and investigating a bit of wiring. For some reason, the wiring for the midship mast was routed to the back of the superstructure. I thought this might be to wire this and the rear mast together but on investigation, although there are wires inside the rear most mast, there are no wires exiting at the base to activate the built in red leds. I had a good root around because in the Glasgow build thread, there's clearly some there at one point so do not know what happened. Neither is there a motor in there for the radar from what I can see. There does seem to be a shaft up the mast so maybe the intention was to site a motor within the superstructure? Anyway, without some drastic surgery beyond my building skills, it will have to stay as it is.

That being the case, I decided to route the wires for the midships mast back up the superstructure so it can be wired up to the main radar tower with motor. Last update, I showed the upper deck rail and stanchions being made. Now painted, the section around the RAS winch and Sat Nav on a pole have carefully been fitted as can be seen in the following picture. Also now fitted are the said RAS winch, Sat Nav pole, main radar tower, 909 radar dome and bridge roof (navigation?) radar.

The Scott Dome cabin isnt fixed in place yet as there is some pipe work that needs to be done behind it and access will be easier if it isnt fitted in place. Next job will be fitting the upperdeck rail and stanchions running forward from the Scott Domes to the ladders giving access from the lower deck.

As mentioned previously, Newcastle circa 2002 had the GAMBO guns on the bridge level deck. This was further forward than on some other T42s and meant the deck bulwark needs moving forward as well. With a big gulp, I carefully sliced the bulwark off from its position and re attached further forward. Close examination of both pictures will show what I mean.The 'old' position just needs a dab of paint to hide that with a little filler to hide the join at the new position. This has to be repeated on the port side then the GAMBOs can be re sited and suitable 'fence' and rails being added. The bulwark might look a bit wonky in the picture but I can assure you it isnt and it is just the camera angle.

That's all for now.
D92_Liverpool

Postby D92_Liverpool on Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:54 pm

Another quick post, Ive now cut off and re positioned the small bulwark as per Newcastle. This repositioning is slightly further forward compared to Glasgow, not sure about T42s though. This enables the port and starboard GAMBOs to be moved from the hangar superstructure to the main superstructure bridge deck level. These two pictures give you an idea.

Note the small bulwark is not full size and on the T42s its height was somewhere between the top and middle rails. From the pictures I have of Newcastle, it appears the rail and stanchions stop at the forward side of the bulwark. There's then a kind of 3 section drop down netting frame that starts at the forward end of the small bulwark to a suitable position beyond the GAMBO with rail and stanchion re instated rearwards. I need to work on this, rail and stanchion and fix in place.

Will post more soon
D92_Liverpool

Postby D92_Liverpool on Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:25 pm

Apologies for lack of posting, been flying the heli and catching up with a few domestic jobs. Hope to resume the build and thread very soon.

In the intervening time I decided I needed to have another look at the rear mast as it was bugging me especially when looking at the construction pictures in the previous thread. I took this off the ship for further investigation in the hope I could get a small motor and join this to the shaft Id noticed before. Alas, although the shaft does go up the mast and can be turned, this appears to have no effect on what would be the radar shaft. I can only presume the gears have come adrift and no longer mesh. The good news is the mid mast and main radar appear to work if a little too quickly.

I cannot believe Ive been back on this build for just over a year now, how time flies! Will post more soon.
D92_Liverpool

Postby D92_Liverpool on Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:33 pm

Once again, apologies for the lack of posts. One thing and another flying the heli and now a toe nail infection whose tablets have made my get up and go, completely gone! You wouldnt think such tablets would affect you like this but, having been on them for nearly 28 days, they make me feel completely letharic for most of the day.

Anyways, when I have been galvanised Ive been installing the railings along the Bridge level deck where the now re sited GAMBOs are positioned and, the guard mesh that is right in front of the GAMBO. On some ships it looks like this would simply drop forward when the crew want to let loose with the GAMBO. The shape also seems a little different. Ive seen them where they are a basic 3 section rectangle and others where the outer edge panel are more triangular. Newcastle for my era circa 2002, has the plain rectangle one.

My pictures for Newcastle show these upper deck rails arent the usual rail and stanchion. Instead, they are of the taught wire type rails between the stanchions. I used the black wired supplied when I acquired the model. Likewise, the netting also supplied and used on the flight deck (Im intending replacing these), was used to createthe guard netting. The following picture shows what I mean.

The rails and stanchions have been installed on the starboard side but as yet, the guard while made, hasnt been fitted.

I didnt just want to glued the guard to the side of the superstructure. One I think it would look crap and two, I dont think it would stick very well. So I made a couple of small brackets from 'U' shaped plastic channel. These neatly fit the inside uprights of the guard and a bit of super glue does the job. A small piece of wire is then glued to the back of these brackets and fixed to the deck with ordinary poly cement. The idea being this gluewould both hold the guard in every day use but if a future owner decided to do away with them, they wouldnt need major surgery to remove them as if super glue had been used.

That's all for now. I'll try and do a post for the starboard side soon.
D92_Liverpool

Postby D92_Liverpool on Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:38 pm

Quick update, no pictures just yet Im afraid.

The GAMBO guard netting on the starboard side is now fitted. I had to have a couple of goes on this one as it wasnt symetrical with the port side and didnt want to stick! A little fettling, repositioning and gluing sorted that out in the end.

Im moving on to the wired rail and stanchions from the RIB crane forward to the CWS on port and starboard sides. Should be fun! The next update may probably be the last or next to last before, whisper it, Christmas! I cannot believe Ive been working on Newcastle now for over 15 months and still have work to do!

Until next time!
D92_Liverpool

Previous

Return to Destroyers & Corvettes