D87 HMS Newcastle formerly Glasgow

Moderators: Pugwash, MarineNationale

D87 HMS Newcastle formerly Glasgow

Postby D92_Liverpool on Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:29 pm

I thought it best to start a new thread for this seeing as Im changing Glasgow into Newcastle. Anyone who wants to be reminded of the work Nick did on Glasgow can use this link http://rnwarships.informe.com/forum/destroyers-corvettes-f22/h-m-s-glasgow-1-72-scale-build-t100.html

Going forward, I intend to put any further updates in this thread.

While I was reviewing the hull so far, I'd previously mentioned I'd try and take off an '8' off the stern pennant ident and replace this with a '7' to show that for Newcastle (D87). However, although Jecobin's plans show the stern pennant ident for the 42's, these are according to pictures I have, in the wrong place and far too big. So, it looks like I'll need to order some smaller RN pennant idents :o

The stern pennant ident will be repositioned higher up just below the two stern lights as in this picture.

Righto, off to see if I can do anything about the stabilisers and \ or bilge keel fitting!
D92_Liverpool

Re: D87 HMS Newcastle formerly Glasgow

Postby D92_Liverpool on Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:32 pm

Spent a couple of hours this afternoon on the bilge keels and stabilisers. This photo should show them fitted I hope!

This photo shows them from the stern looking towards the bow.

Offski to watch the Olympics now!
D92_Liverpool

Postby D92_Liverpool on Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:23 pm

Well that has to be the longest break for the Olympics and model build! What can I say? I had intended re starting work on finishing Newcastle's transformation but one thing lead to another and I diverted back into one of my other rc loves of helis. But I did warn that I was a slow builder. Sorry about Photobucket removing the pictures, obviously not using them going forward.

Anyways, Im now determined to finish Newcastle. This model is just too good to be left unfinished, so, she wont be. Whether she sails, just becomes a static model or something else I dont know, we'll just have to see how we go. Im not promising a timeframe or whether these will be regular updates but flying weather is reducing so, I guess build time might become available.

So, there's not been any further build updates in the intervening 6(!?) years and she is pretty much in the same state as when I bought her from Mr Goody except Id added new bilge keels, changed the stabilisers to fixed and painted all with anti foul. I think this is one of the PB photos that had been de linked from above.

Having recently turned to re starting, I noticed a problem with the Sea Dart Missiles. They wouldnt stick to the pylon. So I decided I needed to pin and glue them.

Anyway, a trusty pin vice and small drill soon had the job done. Super glue the pin and fix in place. Sorry, no picture of them fitted to the pylon just yet.

Ive made a start on some liferafts and hopefully in a little while, I'll upload a pic or two.
Last edited by D92_Liverpool on Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
D92_Liverpool

Postby D92_Liverpool on Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:25 pm

Here are some life canisters Ive been working on a few days ago, halves glued together and ready for painting.

and a couple of days later, here are the life canisters now painted. I need to add a black divide between the two halves to replicate that of the full size. I'll post a pic later if I can. There are more than needed here so I'll pick the best ones out to fix to Newcastle's hangar side walkways and midship positions.

D92_Liverpool

Postby D92_Liverpool on Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:56 am

Finished life raft canisters. I used a BMW black touch up paint kit from Halfords I had lying around which had a narrow brush for this job. This was just right to get in between the canister halves.

Lots of people paint these canisters white. On later ships, they may well have been but all the photos I have of the 42's clearly show they are grey, not white.

This is a later version of the canister on York.

D92_Liverpool

Postby D92_Liverpool on Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:28 pm

The era Im doing Newcastle to represent, has the cabin behind the funnel fitted. Ive made a start on this.

Simple box section which Im having to eyeball as I dont have a plan to work from.

Width was fairly easy as the cabin appears to be about the width of the deck. Height had to be estimated based on photos using the door as a guide. There's quite a step over to enter the cabin so the door needs to be quite high up. Breadth of the cabin was again based on photos plus, on later photos, additional storage lockers between the cabin and rear mast dictated available size. I might have undercooked the width by 2 or 3 mm

The roof was next and again, I had to estimate the length of the 'wings.' A 20mm overhang seemed about right.

The door is not stuck on in the above picture and has been moved closer to the outer edge to represent the actual positioning. This can be seen in the next picture below. The waste has also been cut away from the roof to show the basic shape.

Rounding of the wing ends still need a little fettling but look worse in the picture than actually is!

This picture is just for show, the roof is not yet stuck on. Wing supports still need to be made and fixed.
D92_Liverpool

Postby D92_Liverpool on Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:38 pm

Bit more work on this cabin. Once Id put the door on and the bottom edging, I realised the door was a little too low. So, a cut finger later, the door was prized off and re attached a little higher (not shown in this picture).

I didnt have any micro rod to reproduce the truss supports under the wings so resorted to using some copper rodding. I cut the side trusts from 1.5mm plasticard. Given the price of Evergreen stock plus there's no stockist near me, I'll have to make do as best I can with other materials to hand.

I was going to attempt to solder the ladder that fixes to the stern side of the cabin but the size proved beyond my eyesight so, Ive had to order some EB from Fleetscale together with the RAS fixture and sat nav on pole.

Next job will be to tackle the Scott Dome's cabin that sits just aft of the generator house that carries the main radar.
Last edited by D92_Liverpool on Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D92_Liverpool

Postby D92_Liverpool on Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:24 pm

Been building what I call the Scott Domes cabin situated immediately behind the main radar stubby tower. But Im not happy with the size of the cabin I built.

It looks about 3 or 4mm too broad and may be 2 or 3mm too tall when laid alongside the stubby tower. I think the stubby tower is also about 4mm too broad but this was built with a motor in it for the radar so was probably required to accommodate the motor and gearing?

Im going to have another go at building the one I built and see if it looks better.
D92_Liverpool

Postby D92_Liverpool on Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:14 pm

I wasnt happy with how the first Scott Domes cabin looked so had another go. The original was just a tad too wide, width and depth imho so the 'new' one was made a little slimmer and a little shorter. This first pic shows them side by side with the newer version on the left.

The second picture shows the side on view and how much fatter the first cabin was. If you can make it out, the shaded line on the right side cabin was an approximation of how much it needed to be slimmed down. The panelled door backing needs trimming a little before gluing in place. I cannot find a picture of this cabin from both sides on the same ship so am working off pictures of Newcastle and Liverpool. Newcastle has a panelled door on the front facing starboard side. In the pictures I have of Liverpool, she doesnt seem to have the panelled door. Instead, Liverpool has a 'flat' door on the port side of the cabin so the problem is, did Newcastle?!

I started work on the stubby radar tower generator cabin cat walk as can be seen in this next picture.

And roughly positioned in place in the following picture.

A separate platform is to be fitted at the front and slightly raised above the rest of the catwalk. In pictures I have, a strange box like structure sits at the forward end of this platform but I dont know its purpose. Does it hold some sensor equipment? Interestingly, this platform is above the catwalk on Newcastle but slightly below on Liverpool! These ships had some very subtle difference!
D92_Liverpool

Postby D92_Liverpool on Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:34 am

Bit of an update on progress so far. I bought a couple of items from Fleetscale. I was going to try and make the Sat Nav on pole myself with a 1\96 sized Scott Dome. It looked about the right size but, the problem I could see was cutting about 6 or 7 mm square off the base. I had visions of the cut falling off and never being square as I have no vice to hold it in. Still, the Fleetscale item was only £1.50 and helped compensate for Fleetscale's heavy postage!

I also needed some ladders and a RAS post. The RAS post is very finely moulded and looks the part. Have to say Fleetscale do make clean products although not keeping stock and making items to order does slow the process down somewhat. I thought 5 quid postage was a bit steep as well.

Ive had to bite the bullet as well and order some Evergreen strip and tube and am waiting on these to arrive.

Next, Ive attached a ladder to each of the funnel aft cabin and Scott Domes cabin. Evergreen tube is needed for some finishing touches to the SD cabin. I also built the manual 4.5" gun targetting and firing control (item far left) which sits atop the air intakes. I didnt know what this item was or really looked like until a former crew member on another forum told me and supplied pictures of Liverpool. This is a different size to the one on Newcastle but gave me enough information to build what I needed.

Ive also been working on the stubby radar tower \ generator walkway. This has now been cut to allow ladder access from the starboard side and the forward platform. Further research shows this forward platform had some sort of sensor \ camera mount. I need some Evergreen rod to make most of the railing around the walkway which for some reason, is not standard RN 3 rails (except for the fwd platform which is!) and make some small fillet supports.

This era Newcastle will have the familiar funnel 'wings' to mount the ship's 'badge' and aerials. One difficulty Ive spotted is these 'wings' sit parallel with hull sides but the funnel shape narrows front to back. So, a straight 'wing' stuck to the side of the funnel wont look right and will need careful work to match the funnel profile.

Last edited by D92_Liverpool on Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
D92_Liverpool

Next

Return to Destroyers & Corvettes